Did You Know…There is an ecological balance in the intestines between good bacteria and yeast? The good bacteria out-number the yeast 10:1 in a normal bowel, keeping the yeast from flourishing systemically.
Candida and nail fungus are a reflection of a bacteria/yeast imbalance. Signs and symptoms of candida? Fatigue, headaches, joint pain, inability to lose weight if you are trying to do so, mood swings/depression, itchy ears, itchy skin, sores in the mouth. Yes, these can be signs of other imbalances as well, but I would always look to the intestines first. (For an evaluation and protocol for systemic candida feel free to schedule a consultation).
What will throw that ecological balance off?
1. Antibiotics (not knowing good bacteria from bad, they attack indiscriminately)
2. Sugar/high carb diet
If your intestines need some help in light of medications, food or lifestyle, a non-dairy (because dairy is acidic and many people are dairy-sensitive) probiotic is helpful in repopulating the intestinal tract with the good guys.
I have several criteria for a probiotic formula:
1. Shelf stable. It may be well refrigerated in the health food store but how was the refrigeration in transport…did the truck’s refrigeration break down or function improperly? If so, bacteria (and not the good kind) will grow in that probiotic formula. Also, you can easily travel with a shelf stable formula.
2. Several strains…not just acidophilus. Our gut contains many strains of bacteria and so should your probiotic formula.
3. Not too strong. You don’t want to disable your system from producing its own beneficial bacteria. You want assistance, not a takeover!
4. Contains FOS. Fructo Oligo Saccharides help stimulate your immune system from within your intestines.
My favorite probiotic? Megaprobiotics by Food Science…meets all the above requirements.
Do share these important findings with everyone you know. It’s a blessing to be able to help one another.
Until next time…stay healthy, think peace, be love and see love in everyone!
About Andrea Candee, MH, MSC
Andrea Candee is a master herbalist for over 25 years with a consultation practice in South Salem, NY. She lectures throughout the country and at corporate wellness centers about taking charge of your health naturally. Media expert and author, her award-winning book, Gentle Healing for Baby and Child (Simon & Schuster), received The National Parenting Center’s Seal of Approval. Andrea is noted nationally for her unique and successful approach to Lyme Disease and works with clients and their pets anywhere in the country.
This Simon & Schuster publication offers parents a guide to child-friendly herbs and other natural remedies for common ailments and injuries. Awarded The Seal of Approval by The National Parenting Center. All remedies may be used by adults as well! For more information, click here.
All publications can be ordered via email. Booklets are also available in PDF format.
A Parent's Guide (Simon & Schuster) Awarded The National Parenting Center's Seal of Approval...266 pages
Herbs, Recipes and Guidance for Winter Wellness...28 page booklet
Options for protection in an unseen world...45 page booklet
46 page booklet